Activities in Naxos.
What activities one should do visiting in Naxos.
Naxos offers a plethora of activities for visitors to enjoy, catering to a wide range of interests and preferences. Here are some of the activities one can partake in while staying in Naxos:
- Explore Historical Sites: Discover the island’s rich history by exploring ancient archaeological sites such as the Temple of Apollo, the Portara, the ancient city of Naxos, and the Venetian Castle. These sites provide a fascinating glimpse into Naxos’ past and offer stunning views of the surroundings.
- Relax on Beautiful Beaches: Naxos is renowned for its breathtaking beaches. Spend leisurely days lounging on the golden sands of Agios Prokopios, Plaka, Agia Anna, or Mikri Vigla. Enjoy swimming in the crystal-clear waters, sunbathe under the Mediterranean sun, or engage in water sports like windsurfing and kiteboarding.
- Hiking and Outdoor Activities: Embark on scenic hikes to explore the island’s diverse landscapes. Mount Zas, the highest peak in the Cyclades, offers rewarding trails and panoramic views. The Naxos Trail, a network of paths, allows you to traverse verdant valleys, ancient trails, and picturesque villages. Engage in activities such as mountain biking, horseback riding, and rock climbing.
- Water Sports and Sailing: Take advantage of Naxos’ favorable winds and engage in thrilling water sports. Windsurfing and kiteboarding are especially popular on the island due to the consistent wind conditions. Rent a boat or join a sailing excursion to explore hidden coves and nearby islands, such as the Small Cyclades.
- Visit Charming Villages: Explore the traditional villages of Naxos, each with its unique charm and character. Wander through the narrow alleys of Chora, the island’s capital, and admire its Venetian architecture. Discover the scenic village of Apiranthos, known for its marble-paved streets and traditional houses. Visit Filoti, a picturesque village nestled at the foot of Mount Zas, and sample local delicacies in the cozy tavernas.
- Taste Local Cuisine and Wine: Indulge in the delectable flavors of Naxian cuisine. Sample local specialties such as the famous Naxian cheese, graviera, and traditional dishes like moussaka and souvlaki. Visit local wineries and taste the island’s renowned wines, including the dry white wine made from the indigenous Assyrtiko grape.
- Experience Local Culture: Immerse yourself in Naxos’ vibrant cultural scene. Attend traditional festivals and celebrations, such as the Carnival of Naxos, where you can witness lively parades and vibrant costumes. Enjoy live music performances and traditional dances, which are frequently held throughout the island.
- Visit Museums and Art Galleries: Explore Naxos’ museums and art galleries to delve deeper into the island’s cultural heritage. The Archaeological Museum of Naxos houses an impressive collection of artifacts, providing insights into the island’s ancient past. The Venetian Museum and the Folklore Museum offer further glimpses into the island’s history and traditions.
- Take Cooking Classes: Learn the secrets of Naxian cuisine by joining a cooking class. Discover traditional recipes, techniques, and local ingredients while enjoying a hands-on culinary experience. Cooking classes often include visits to local markets to source fresh produce.
- Enjoy Nightlife and Entertainment: Naxos offers a lively nightlife scene with bars, clubs, and live music venues. Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Chora, where you can enjoy drinks, dance, and socialize with both locals and fellow travelers.
These are just a few suggestions, and there’s plenty more to explore and experience on the beautiful island of Naxos. Enjoy your stay!
Hospitality is the people
Take a look at our both websites and you might meet us in summer, as many other guests have done since 2015.